Friday, June 3, 2011

Part 2

Leaving The New was like going big wall climbing on day four when your already three days on bouldering.  Not completely amped to be embarking on such an epic week I bit my lip and drove west for Cincinnati, on my own and totally dependent on my iphone (no joke) and van that quite possibly has the worst success ratio of reached destinations known to used vehicle purchases history.  Confidence was minimal as I had driven Ole' Silverado a measly 120 miles to test the $3000 of engine repair that had been done a week before my trip to The New River Gorge.  Nevertheless, I am now 700 miles from home and on the home stretch of my demo loop.

Days are long, longer than a three mile hike out at dark when your hungry with no food left, thirsty but you've consumed your last drop of water, and tired from flailing and sweating more than you knew you could....in the summer.  The days usually start by waking up shortly after sunrise in the parking lot of some establishment in whatever city seemed safe in route to the next event.  It's almost like your out here living on instinct, constantly trying to make ends meet.  You have the necessities of course but your not even close to living the same life as those parking next to you as they arrive for work.  As I crawl out of bed and begin to gather things to go brush my teeth in the Starbucks bathroom I wonder,  "What are they thinking?"   I know for a fact this one forty something business woman saw my entire morning routine.  Wake up, change, gather computer and toothbrush, quick mirror check, and just like that I was one of them.  I'm in Pontiac, MI trying to decide if these business dressed, clean cut nine to fivers have any idea of a life outside of the box. 

After an internet session and some breakfast the only other thing to do is drive.  You could be 1, 2, 5, or maybe even 10 hours from the next appointment.  The feeling is that of a modern nomad, only with a destination and a home to return to.  So, maybe it's not that nomadic but your rarely in one spot for more than a day or even a few hours.  Arriving at your destination is a relief.  Driving is done!....for the moment.  Now the work begins.  Although, at times it's hard to decipher when work begins and ends.  Set up is hard work but then again driving vast stretches of unfamiliar roads ain't easy.  I have 6 duffle bags of demo shoes weighing in around fifty pounds each.  The constant loading and unloading is rough.  For the most part, the places I visit have nice employees, like you and I, that offer a helping hand when they see the luggage.

Once your at an event or gym or wherever you may be you are there to represent.  The morale and energy of the rep are very important personality characteristics that the customers feed off of.  I've come to realize that people are sold on your personality just as much as they are the products.  With that, I can say that it is very emotional labor.   Just like a server or a stewardess I am there to make sure that whoever's experience with the brand was a good one.  Whether I'm biting my lip the whole time or just totally enjoying the scene I must not gripe or wine.  Who's gonna listen anyway? So at the end of the day I pack up and move forward toward the next stop.

While the drives are long, they are good for reflection and thought.  This is when you are alone, sometimes very alone.  Times like this are good for recharging and catching up with yourself from being engulfed by the gym population and trying to meet their demands. As you drive onward it's hard not to wish you were home with the ones you know and love and in those comfortable and familiar places.  I can't say that I'm the type that gets "home sick" but at times I feel like I've left so much behind.  Even though I know my return home is coming, I can't help but hope my life at home is in tact as I left it.

Through all the people you meet and have conversations with, many of them express envy and aspire to have this life.  The life desired by many, had by few.  They inquire as to how I got here and if this is all I do, driving around from place to place climbing and doing events.  I tell them, "this is what I've always wanted to do and made sure that it was known."  I was brought on as a team member and proved myself worthy of work and independence.  Not that I don't have confidence or faith in my ability to make money climbing, I just don't really see it as a reality.  I think the percentage of climbers that are able to achieve a sustainable income is under one percent.  So, I have taken on this job under Kurt Smith's agency to support the "rock star" lifestyle.  I may not save a lot of money or have much for retirement savings, but I am living the life.  I'll never forget what a nurse told me one day as we were casually talking while in the doctors office.  In context, it was basically that she always believed to retire young and work old.  It made me think how precious life is and how many things there are to do now that I won't be able to fully enjoy later.  And I have taken that with me.  I really am fortunate to be working with the people behind the scenes of such a great product and those providing a medium to practice such a great sport.  It is a pleasure to trade smiles and share stories of experiences from our common endeavors with each and every one of you.  


That's all for now.

Cheddar

1 comment:

  1. Killer, Man. Having been there many a time, I have got to say you nailed the experience on the head. Keep on keeping on. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete