Monday, December 5, 2011

North North

I find it quite ironic that one night into my trip north I was reminded of this quote, "adventures don't start until something goes wrong."  I was on my way to service the great lakes with Evolv shoe demos and had stopped in Evansville, IN for the night.  All was well as I drove to Vertical Endeavors in Warrenville, IL.  The wind had turned what was mild weather into blisteringly frigid.  Wind gusts were tormenting and the temperature continued it's rapid decent.  No big deal, life goes on.  The next morning I awoke and began my day headed toward Chicago, the 3rd largest city in America behind L.A. and N.Y..

The feeling I felt when I saw the neon green puddle under the front of my van was that I could only compare to dropping the rope when cleaning a route.  While I've never done this, I'm sure it is quite troubling.  Imagine this, I was in direct (parked in the middle of a city with plenty of options) but had just lost the resource I depend on most, just ahead of my iphone.  I needed help and I knew the price to repair it would be crippling, although, I didn't have much choice.  So, the hunt was on, by foot, to find the cheapest, yet nearest option for repair.  Just like the quote says, "adventures don't start until something goes wrong."  The adventure had begun.....

I got the van to a radiator repair shop after driving in mile long intervals where I would have to pull over ( in downtown chicago (stressful)) to let the engine cool and refill the radiator that wasn't holding an ounce of water I poured into it and began driving again 30 mins later. Sheesh.  I finally pulled into the repair shop and dropped the van off with relief.  I packed a bag full of clothes, grabbed my computer and camera, and took direction from the mechanic who told me to come back in the morning.  "Downtown is that way." he said, after I had asked where the nearest hotels were.  So, on foot I marched toward  the tallest building in sight to see as much of iconic Chicago as I could.  At this point, I was totally on my own and cut loose from the haven of comfort and necessities that were stowed in my van.

It was about 2 miles or so into Chicago's heart from where I broke down.  By the way, Chicago is huge!  The only way I could deal with this unfortunate event was to spin it into a positive experience.  I eventually found my way and began wandering the endless arrangement of city blocks and sky scraping towers not caring if I got lost or not.  Besides, I was already lost!  All I knew was where my van was and that I still needed to find a place to sleep.  Fortunately, I had enough points on my choice hotels card for a free night in a Comfort Suites!  Ok!  And it was seriously 2 blocks from the coffee shop I booked it from!  SWEET! After I checked in it was time for a shower to wash off whatever bad luck had stuck to me.  Things were finally beginning to settle as I had taken care of the necessities.  Now for dinner and a movie in the comfort of my hotel suite.  Ahhhh.... The next day I woke up and made my way back to the van to hear what I was hoping to be good news.  And it was just that.

 It was this guy below that pointed me toward the museums and lake district on Michigan Ave. after I told him my story and asked what I should see while I am stuck here.  Thanks Dude!















A few hundred dollars later I was back on the road headed to Minneapolis in what was to date the most stressful least confident drive I have ever made.  5 hours into the night in my untrustworthy vehicle I pulled over for some sleep.  I stopped at walmart in Eau Claire which was not too far outside of Minneapolis.  They had The Lion King on in the movie section.  I think I watched 20 mins of it.


Then I bought From Hell, a story about Jack the Ripper.  If you haven't seen it and don't mind some blood and guts you should watch it.  

The next morning I woke up and headed to Minneapolis for the Grand Opening of a new Vertical Endeavors.  This event was crrrraaaaazzzzy crowded.  Something like 2500 people came through the gym from 11-5 that day.  Whoa.  Ronnie, Mark, and I spent the day handing out shoes from our respective brands.  Then dowsed ourselves in victory drinks while the mexican restaurant aired spanish UFC fights and whacky commercials for penis pumps.  HA!!!   


The gym entrance is on the other side of 5.10's booth.  
I had the pleasure of staying the night at Nic O's place just up the road from the gym.  Word, thanks man.  Then we went bouldering on the US/Canadian border in the Lake Superior National Forest.  We drove along side Lake Superior for two hours of epic fresh water scenery.  The day of activity was much needed and one of my first days climbing in a long time since my injury.  I was supposed to be resting still but I couldn't resist the opportunity of pulling on some granite boulders in frigid conditions.










After our time climbing my Evolv demo adventure continued in Duluth, MN.  My camera died after our session and I forgot to bring the charger.  Rookie!  Anyway, the remaining pics are iphone.  It was a real pleasure to have a day to kill in this town on the Superior banks.  I had a good book, War by Sebastian Junger, and a sunny afternoon to chill before executing the final 3 day push of demos as I headed south. 

I went to the mall....yeah, Snooki has a book.   




To my surprise, I got two days of outdoor climbing in on this trip.  Bouldering in Minnesota and Wisconsin?  OK!  On my way south from Duluth, MN to Madison, WI I stopped at Devil's Lake for some bouldering with Katie of Boulders Gym and one of Evolv's Great Lakes athletes Ian.  It was cold and sunny, making for perfect conditions for climbing on the already slick quartzite boulders.  They gave me a really killer tour and we all were in good spirits for pulling hard.  After a not-so impressive warm-up boulder, I was impressed for sure with the remaining hard problems we climbed on.  Katie ended up sending her long standing project after who knows how many tries.  GOOD SEND KATIE!!!  Ian and I on the other hand played on the boulders as I tried to follow him up the classics he showed me.  I managed to do a few.  

Alpine Club Sit
Ian sent the sit start to Alpine Club the next day.


After just one more demo in Milwaukee my adventure would end with a 12 hour drive back home to Chattanooga.  If you've never driven through Chicago here are some tips to consider when you do:

1.  Plan your trip around avoiding rush hour traffic
2.  Be prepared to stop unexpectedly
3.  Have cash for endless toll booth

I finally made it back to Chatty.  After a long road trip I am very happy to be back home for the holidays.  Also, my finger is beginning to heal from a torn pulley two months ago.  So, I'll be back in action and training to get back to where I left off last season.  

Wish me luck.

Cheddar.







No comments:

Post a Comment